Craft – Fabricator
What is a Fabricator Apprenticeship?
A Fabricator Apprentice trains to become a highly skilled craftsperson in the nuclear industry.
What will I be doing?
You will be trained to:
- Fabricate items to specification from stainless steel, carbon steel and aluminium.
- Cut metals using oxy-propane and plasma.
- Form metals using machines.
- Develop and manufacture pattern
As part of the role you will need to wear personal protective equipment, necessary for work in active areas (such as full PVC suiting, gloves and respirators) and work in confined spaces or at heights.
This is a four-year scheme where the first year will be spent learning a range of hands-on engineering skills.
Additionally, you will undertake a Level 3 Technical Certificate that will be delivered on a one day per week basis.
Years 2 to 4 of your training will be spent at in the central workshops at Sellafield where you will work with skilled Fabricators.
It is important that you are a self-starter who can manage your own time and work independently, as well as in a team; you will also have a keen interest in learning an engineering trade within the nuclear industry.
As an integral part of your apprenticeship your progress will be monitored and assessed against the Apprenticeship requirements. You will compile an evidence folder, demonstrating your areas of learning with accredited certificates of completion for elements of your training. You will undertake knowledge, skills and behaviour assessments where you will be expected to clearly demonstrate your capability to perform as a Fabricator Apprentice.
Where will my training be delivered?
1st Year – training is delivered at our of-site training facility.
2nd, 3rd & 4th Years – Site placements in central workshops at Sellafield.
What qualifications will I obtain?
- Level 3 ST0607 Metal Fabricator Apprenticeship
- Level 3 Technical Certificate
- Level 3 NVQ
- Award for Nuclear Industry Awareness (ANIA) Level 2 Qualification
*Specific qualifications are subject to change and replaced with an equivalent
What are the entry requirements?
- Minimum of 3 GCSEs Grade 4 (Grade C) in Mathematics, English Language & 1 Science or Engineering subject. Other equivalent qualifications may be considered.
- Functional Skills Level 2 will also be considered as equivalent to GCSE Grade 4 (Grade C). Other equivalent qualifications may be considered.
What are the requirements to do the role?
- You may at times need to wear personal protective equipment, necessary for work in active areas (such as full PVC suiting, gloves and respirators)
- Work in confined spaces or at heights.
Candidates will be required to achieve appropriate security and medical clearances; these will be instigated on receiving a conditional offer of employment.