Craft – Maintenance
48 month programme
What is a Craft Maintenance Apprenticeship?
A Maintenance Apprentice trains to become a highly skilled craftsperson within the nuclear industry. You will be trained as a Mechanical or an Electrical & Instrumentation Craftsperson.
What will I be doing?
You will be training to undertake routine maintenance and fault finding on plant and equipment where you will use hand tools, test equipment and documentation to undertake these maintenance tasks.
You may at times need to wear personal protective equipment, necessary for work in active areas (such as full PVC suiting, gloves and respirators) and work in confined spaces or at heights. Unfortunately, we are unable to take individuals on to the Electrical & Instrumentation Apprenticeship who are colour blind due to the electrical safety implications.
What do I need to consider?
This is a four-year scheme where the first two years will be spent with our local training provider learning a range of hands-on engineering skills. Additionally, you will undertake a Level 3 Technical Certificate that will be delivered on a one day per week basis.
Your third and fourth years of training will be spent at Sellafield. You will work on plant within the Maintenance Teams where you will work days and may have the opportunity to work shifts.
It is important that you are a self-starter who is able to manage your own time and work independently, as well as in a team; you will also have a keen interest in learning an engineering trade.
As an integral part of your apprenticeship your progress will be monitored and assessed against the National Apprenticeship Standard requirements. You will compile an evidence folder, demonstrating your areas of learning with accredited certificates of completion for elements of your training. Within the last six months of your apprenticeship you will undertake a knowledge and skills assessment by an independently appointed organisation, where you will be expected to clearly demonstrate your ability to meet the Apprenticeship.
Where will my training be delivered?
1st & 2nd Years – training is delivered at the local training provider.
3rd & 4th Years – Site placements at Sellafield, in different operating units throughout the business.
What qualifications will I obtain?
- Level 3 Apprenticeship aligned to the Maintenance & Operations Engineering Technician Standard.
- Level 3 Technical Certificate
What are the entry requirements?
- Minimum of 3 GCSEs Grade 4 (Grade C) in Mathematics, English Language & one Science subject or engineering subject (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Science or similar).
What are the requirements to do the role?
- You may at times need to wear personal protective equipment, necessary for work in active areas (such as full PVC suiting, gloves and respirators)
- Work in confined spaces or at heights.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to take individuals on to the Electrical & Instrumentation Apprenticeship who are colour blind due to the electrical safety implications.