Location: Sellafield, Cumbria
As a Quality Engineer Degree Apprentice you will work alongside experienced engineers, you will learn how to problem solve using a variety of tools and techniques that will benefit projects, operational areas, and the supply chain to improve their processes and enable the successful completion of the company’s mission. You will learn governance, assurance, leadership and improvement skills to be able to implement change in a variety of organisations and scenarios.
Things I should consider?
To succeed on your chosen pathway, you should have a passion for a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths) based subject and a desire to pursue a career within the field. Following successful completion of your Level 5 Apprenticeship you will have the opportunity to complete a Level 6 Bachelors of Engineering degree or a Level 6 Bachelors of Science degree, whilst learning the practical skills required for the role.
Throughout your chosen scheme, you will get to work on exciting projects and deliver complex pieces of work whilst becoming an integral part of a community of enthusiastic, talented individuals, who will go on to shape the future of Sellafield Ltd.
As an integral part of your apprenticeship your progress will be monitored and assessed against government standard requirements. You will compile an evidence folder, demonstrating your areas of learning with accredited certificates of completion for elements of your training. Within the last six months of your apprenticeship you will undertake an assessment by an independently appointed organisation, where you will be expected to clearly demonstrate your capability to perform in your chosen career.
Where will my training be delivered?
You will undertake a 3-month induction programme based at our local off-site training facility.
Work placements will be based on either the Sellafield site or one of our various satellite offices. Academic Learning will take place 1 day a week at our training providers off-site training facility. In addition, some pathways will undertake a Practical Engineering Operations at our local off-site training facility.
What qualifications will I obtain?
The Degree Apprentice Programme consists of 2 phases;
- Level 5 ST0380 Nuclear Technician Apprenticeship
- Level 5 Foundation Degree/ Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering or Science aligned to your chosen pathway
For candidates with the potential to progress further:
- Level 6 ST0289 Nuclear Scientist and Nuclear Engineer Apprenticeship
- Level 6 Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (BEng) or Science (BSc) aligned to your chosen pathway, over a further 2-year period.
*Specific qualifications are subject to change and replaced with an equivalent.
What are the entry requirements?
Our degree apprenticeships are aimed at those studying for A-Levels or equivalent. The entry requirements for our degree apprenticeship schemes are:
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grades 9 to 4 (Grades A* to C) including Mathematics, English Language and one Science or Engineering subject.
- Minimum of 96 UCAS points at A-Level, STEM subjects preferred (e.g. Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Science) but not mandatory.
- Other Level 3 STEM qualifications may be considered.
- Vocational equivalents at level 3 or higher will also be considered as equivalent to UCAS points.
- If you do not have Mathematics at A Level then you must achieve a minimum of Grade 6 (Grade B) at GCSE.
- Functional Skills Level 2 will also be considered as equivalent to GCSE Grade 4 (Grade C). Other equivalent qualifications may be considered.
- Candidates will be required to achieve appropriate security and medical clearances; these will be instigated on receiving a conditional offer of employment.